Behaviour & Discipline
All children have the right to develop their potential and be safe and happy.
The children and teachers will work together to establish Charters of Rights and Responsibilities and draw up the Codes of Conduct for the whole school and within each classroom.At Coruña British School the children are encouraged to:
- Try hard to do their best.
- Be kind and speak politely to everyone in the school community.
- Respect other people, their possessions and school property.
- Be helpful.
- Ask for help or tell an adult if they are unhappy.
- Accept responsibility for the things they do.
Children are taught what unacceptable behaviour is and are made aware of the consequences of breaking the rules. Minor behaviour issues will be dealt with within the classroom. If a more serious problem occurs the Head teacher or other senior member of staff will be informed.
Persistent misbehaviour will be dealt with in the following ways:
- A home/school contract – working with parents to produce a programme to encourage improvements in behaviour. In extreme cases the Head teacher may decide that a period of exclusion in school or out of school may be necessary.
- The Discipline Policy is based on a system of rewards and sanctions. Positive behaviour in the classroom and other areas within the school is rewarded so that students and pupils work towards the recognition of their achievements.
The school will work with the child’s parents/carers to help modify poor behaviour through approaches that are applied consistently at home and school. Further details are available in our Discipline Policy.